The Surly Big Dummy was introduced in 2009 In collaboration with Xtracycle in the USA (the longbike pioneers). It's a versatile, sophisticated and modular Cargo Bike which can also be used to carry children - and adults!
The collaboration between Surly and Xtracycle means that most of the Xtracycle accessories are compatible with the Big Dummy frameset. Practical Cycles have the range of accessories for the Xtracycle and Surly Big Dummy available to buy online.
Unlike the Xtracycle 'Freeradical' Kit, which converts a regular bicycle into the Xtracycle long bike, the Surly Big Dummy is a one-piece frame and fork set that is a ready made longbike frame (so no conversion is necessary).
This means a stronger and stiffer set up than the Xtracycle and thus a larger payload. So if you want to transport really heavy cargo the Surly Big Dummy may be the better option for you.
Practical Cycles can sell you a Surly Big Dummy frame and forkset for you to build yourself. Surly also now produce a complete bike to their own specification - you can view the specification by clicking here.
Surly Custom Build and Internal Gear Hubs
For the more discerning customer, Practical Cycles can orchestrate a fully tailored custom specification just for you. We specialise in offering gearing that utlilises internal gear hubs (IGH) - particularly IGHs from Shimano (Alfine), Nuvinci (360CVT), Sturmey Archer and the Rohloff Speedhub. We can also of course build the Surly Big Dummy with a derailleur drive train. Below you'll see an example of a recent custom build
All Surly Big Dummy frames are supplied with a fully reamed and faced bottom bracket, reamed and faced head tube and fork crown race and all bosses for rack mounts mudguards etc tapped clean. This saves you a trip to your local bike shop and more importantly about £30 or more. All new frames should be prepared in this way before you fit bottom bracket, headset and other attachments - it ensures the longevity of the fitted parts. Disk brake mounts are not faced as, with the advent of adaptors being sold with most disk brakes, parallel fiting of pads next to rotor can be acheived by moving the adaptor. When buying a frameset, just let us know if you require bottom bracket, headset or any other component supplying and fitting - there's no fitting charge.
Full bikes take 2-4 weeks build time depending on how busy the workshop is. Why so long you ask? We build it without rushing it which means you get a well-built bike with no corners cut. We hand-build your wheels and this takes time but rewards you with long-lasting wheels which will withstand the weight and wear. We grease all the right bits, tap, ream and face the various frame 'interfaces' and generally put a lot of care and attention into your bike.
We have a Surly Big Dummy longbike available for test rides call us to arrange your test ride.Here's a sample spec costing around £1700.00 (not including Longtail Kit):
- Frame & forks - Surly Big Dummy (Military Green or Tar Pit Black)
- Headset - Acor 1 1/8 A-head (black)
- Stem - BBB High Rise OS (black) 110mm (with reducer shim for bars)
- Handlebars - Raleigh North Road - alloy (silver)
- Grips - BBB stitched tan leather
- Brake Levers - Shimano Deore v-brake levers (black)
- Brakes - QUAD mechanical 180 front 160 rear (dual tool-free pad adjustability)
- Crankset - Shimano Deore 2-piece 170mm 44/32/22 (black)
- Bottom Bracket - Shimano Outboard bearings
- Seat Post - BBB Toppost - 27.2 x 400mm (black)
- Seat Clamp - Surly
- Saddle - Brooks B17 Std
- Cassette - Shimano Deore 9 speed 11-34
- Chain - SRAM PC951 9 speed inc. gold powerlink
- Hubs - Shimano M525 6-bolt disk 36 hole
- Rims - Mavic XM 317 disk (black) 36 hole
- Spokes - ACI Alpina stainless steel double butted
- Front Mech - Shimano Deore (black)
- Rear Mech - Shimano Deore (black)
- Gear Shifters - Shimano Deore (black)
- Tyres - Schwalbe Fat Frank 26" x 2.35 (black)
- Cargo System - Xtracycle (OPTIONAL EXTRA)
- Pedals - Shimano PD M530 spd/flat
- Stand - NONE